Friday, September 17, 2010

Octavio Paz, a Biography

I was born to Octavio Paz Solórzano and Josefina Lozano. My father was an active supporter of the Revolution against the Díaz regime. I was raised in the village of Mixcoac by my mother Josefina, my aunt Amalia Paz, an intellectual, novelist, publisher and former supporter of President. Because of my family's public support, we were forced into exile after Zapata's assassination. we served our exile in the United States.
I was introduced to literature early in my life through the influence of my grandfather's library, filled with classic Mexican and European literature. During the 1920s, I discovered the European poets and Spanish writers who had a great influence on my early writings. As a teenager in 1931, I published my first poems, including "Cabellera". Two years later, at the age of 19, I published "Wild Moon", a collection of poems. In 1932, with some friends, I founded my first literary review, Barandal. By 1939, I considered myself first and foremost a poet.
In 1935, I abandoned my law studies and left for work at school and I began working on the first of my long, ambitious poems, "Between the Stone and the Flower".
In 1937, I was invited to the Second International Writers Congress in Defense of Culture in Spain during the country war, showing my solidarity with the Republican side, Upon my return to Mexico, I co-founded a literary journal, "Workshop" in 1938, and wrote for the magazine until 1941. In 1938 I also met and married, now considered one of Mexico's finest writers. I had one daughter, Helena. I divorced from my wife in 1959. In 1943, I received an award and began studying in the United States, and two years later I entered the Mexican diplomatic service, working in New York for a while. In 1945, I wrote "The Labyrinth of Solitude", a groundbreaking study of Mexican identity and thought. In 1952, I travelled  for the first time and, in the same year as chargé d'affairs. I returned to Mexico City in 1954, where I wrote his great poem "Piedra de sol"  in 1957 and Libertad bajo palabra (Liberty under Oath), a compilation of my poetry up to that time. I was sent again to Paris in 1959, following the steps of my lover, the Italian painter Bona Tibertelli de Pisis. In 1962 I was named Mexico's ambassador to India

No comments:

Post a Comment